Rescue Your Life From Stress!
Is stress tearing you apart? Is stress damaging your relationships, your performance at work, or your personal happiness? According to a Gallup Poll published in January of 2007, you are not alone. Forty percent of Americans often feel stressed, especially workers, parents, and those under 50. You juggle your career, your children, your partner, your education, your aging parents – the list goes on. In the modern world, you will find no shortage of obligations.
Despite the many priorities you juggle, most stress has one root cause. And that cause is quite simple:
- Most stress is caused by conflict between your inner-self and your environment.
Given this causation, there are two ways to reduce stress:
- You can change yourself, or
- You can change your environment.
Surely you have heard of work/life balance and the importance of balancing mind, body, and spirit. Those types of balance are important, but the balance I’m going to talk to you about now is bigger. I’m talking about a balance between the elements inside of you and the world outside of you. A balance between your natural abilities and your daily activities. A balance between your energy and your obligations.
I’m talking about a type of balance that leads to inner peace and the fulfillment of your potential. You have a hidden potential locked away inside of you, a potential that can be unmasked by examining your core capacities, the things that make you unique. When you spend your time doing things that are in balance with your core capacities, your activities do not drain you. Instead, they actually energize you. This is just as true in your professional life as in your personal life.
You were put here on this Earth for a reason. Do you know what that reason is? Are you fulfilling your destiny? Or are you simply drifting on the tides like a rudderless boat? If you feel like stress is an unhealthy pressure in your life, take note of the following three principals of balance and fulfillment:
- You have a core self composed of internal capacities.
- The key to reduced stress is bringing your obligations into balance with your capacities.
- The key to realizing your potential is using your natural capacities to communicate a message you believe in.
This article is the first in a series of 6 that will take a closer look at the first two bullet points above. Once you have taken your life back, you may want to focus on a subsequent article series dealing with the third bullet point, purpose fullfillment.
Take a moment now to read the following questions and mentally answer Yes or No to each of them:
- Do you have enough time to pursue your own personal interests?
- Do you have enough time to relax?
- Do your personal relationships make you stronger?
- Do you have enough time, energy, and money to satisfy the demands that others make of you?
- Do you have enough time, energy, and money to take care of yourself?
- Does your life feel balanced?
Unless you answered yes to every single one of these questions, you will find something of interest in this stress-related series of articles. I suggest you bookmark this page so you can use it as a launch-pad to the companion articles listed below.
You are Reading an Article Series — Rescue Your Life From Stress!
- Series Intro: Rescue Your Life From Stress!
- Debilitating Stress, a Warning You are Out of Balance
- The Key to Building a Strong Personal Foundation
- Control Your Spending
- The #1 Mistake Consumers Make with Credit Cards
- 3 Steps to Reducing Stress Caused by Unnecessary Obligations
April 30, 2007 Monday at 5:33 pm