21 Critical Life Lessons You Didn’t Learn in School

bookstack.jpgIf someone doesn’t take us aside and teach us a few things (assuming we’d listen) before we graduate high school, we are doomed to learn life’s hardest lessons in the real world beyond the classroom.

With that in mind, here are 21 non-academic lessons every person should know before he or she graduates high school; if you graduated long ago (as I did), this list represents all the things you wish you had been taught, yet had to learn (or are still learning) on your own.

Love and Relationships

1. Choosing a Mate: Your ability to select a suitable spouse will greatly influence your financial and emotional wellbeing, yet parents and teachers seldom mention it. A few common sense guidelines: pick someone who’s a joy to be around and who makes you happy; know the person well; ensure compatibility beyond the physical because beauty and youth are fleeting, while the mind and heart endure.

2. Evaluating Relationships: Given the tremendous importance of relationships, it’s surprising we receive so little instruction on how to evaluate, prune, and nurture them.  Start by asking yourself whether each of your relationships drags you down or lifts you up. Surrounding yourself with positive relationships is half the battle.

3. Conversation: Successful relationships require solid communication: use body language, appropriate tone of voice, and eye contact; be friendly and considerate of alternative viewpoints; persuade gently; listen, listen, listen.

4. Handling Difficult People: An essential life skill, handling difficult people can be taught, but seldom is. I’ve written about this before, and there are several good books on the subject, including Robert Bramson’s Coping with Difficult People.

5. Networking: Ask for business cards, maintain a Rolodex (electronic or otherwise), and stay in touch with people who respect you.  Association breeds opportunity, personally and professionally.

6. Compassion: We are born egocentric, but by the time we graduate high school, we should be capable of understanding, appreciating, and sympathizing with others. Compassion helps us understand our place in the world and ensures we are emotionally well rounded.

7. Teamwork: Work environments have gravitated toward small teams. Sports, team projects, and group goals are great ways to learn teamwork, but are seldom adequate.  Evaluate interpersonal skills regularly; correct as needed.

8. Giving: As a child, I always thought the expression “it’s better to give than to receive” was trite and silly. As an adult, I recognize the expression’s value. Having the capacity to give means you possess; having the will to give means you want to make a difference; having the desire to give means you care.

Money Management

9. The Material Myth: Pursuing happiness by acquiring material things (granite countertops, plasma televisions, designer clothing) is like jogging to the grocery store on your treadmill: it’s not going to happen.

10. Saving: Keep 3 to 6 months salary in an emergency fund, in case you lose your job; use online calculators to determine the proper amount to save for retirement; keep money on hand for unexpected expenses, such as car and home repair.

11. Debt: Financial gurus suggest that total debt, excluding first mortgage, should not exceed 20% of take-home pay. This includes car payments, home equity loans, second mortgages, credit card debt, and so forth. Upper income consumers may be able to handle higher debt loads due to greater expendable income, while lower income consumers may be wise to carry less. And my number one rule of debt: credit cards should never be used as supplemental income.

12. Frugality: Live below your means. Look for bargains. Shop at discount stores. Clearly delineate needs (transportation) from wants (a big SUV). Feel free to indulge occasionally, but mind the consequences.

13. Debtor Responsibility: I believe every person who borrows money has a social, moral, and ethical responsibility to make payments on time and in the correct amount for the duration of the contract. Generally speaking, the credit bureaus agree.

Career

14. Passion: School sharpens skills, but seldom taps into your most powerful reserve of all: Passion. If you want to be happy at the top of Maslow’s pyramid, find a job you love.

15. Practicality: While you’re chasing self-actualization, paying bills remains important. Independent research using the Occupational Outlook Handbook or other resources can help you figure out how to make a living in whatever industry inspires you.

16. Politics of Advancement: Advancement in the working world often depends as much upon interpersonal skills as it does upon job skills.  Persuasion, argument, and expectation setting are crucial.

17. Entrepreneurial: Unless you’re related to business owners or have learned about business ownership on your own, there’s a good chance that owning a business seems puzzling, daunting, and overwhelming. The fact that young people in a capitalistic society aren’t given the basic tools of ownership is unfortunate.  Find a mentor.  Attend a workshop.  Read.

Personal Success

18. Positive Thinking: Attitude determines altitude. If you believe you can do it, most of the time, you really can.

19. Personal Accountability: Most success boils down to perseverance, determination, tenacity, and other products of personal accountability.

20. Setting and Achieving Goals: Goal setting, research, planing, commitment, and hard work are all required to reach any big, life-altering objective. In other words, all the schooling in the world won’t help you reach your dreams if you don’t take time to determine what you want and how to obtain it.

21. Health: Throughout my life, I’ve noticed that no single thing does as much to improve my outlook as getting healthy. Eat nutritious meals in proper portions. Drink plenty of water. Try to get 30 minutes of aerobic exercise daily (or at least every other day). Get plenty of sleep. High school health classes teach these concepts, but seldom make the connection between health and the rest of life; the connection is real. And it’s huge.

So there you have it: 21 lessons you can’t (or generally don’t) learn in school.

These lessons are not intended to insult teachers or schools, or to suggest curriculum. They are merely thought starters; something to think about regarding lessons learned through painful experience.

Life is an exploration, and maybe certain lessons must be experienced to be understood. Yet I wonder how much pain we could prevent if we taught life’s important lessons to our young people instead of relying on the real world to teach them for us.

83 Responses to “21 Critical Life Lessons You Didn’t Learn in School”

• 26. Nice weblog here! Additionally your web site rather a lot up very fast! What host are you using? Can I get your associate link to your host? I desire my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

• Thanks, I’ve recently been searching for details about this subject matter for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far.

• dee bee says:

To add to your 21 lessons. Spirituality. It is important that we recognize that there is a God. If you doubt this, I encourage you to look at the trees, the stars, the ocean, the mountains, human beings, animals, observe the awesomeness of it all, use your common sense to identify the fact this could not have all just happened with some big bang or some bacteria. Think, think, think no bang could have miraculously create everything I mentioned above. Remember humans are not just a body, we are souls. Once you have come to the conclusion that God exists life will have more meaning because you know if God created you then he must have created you for a purpose. You don’t just exist. You exist for a reason, what that reason is may take you a lifetime to figure out but just because you don’t know the reason doesn’t mean that reason does not exist.

• An sich n hammer Kommentar, aber kannst du im nachsten Post n bisschen ausfuhrlicher sein? :-)

• Get Money With Scholarships for Minorities…

[...]here are a couple of references to places which we link to for the fact we feel they really are seriously worth visiting[...]…

• Prada bags says:

Simply interested, exactly what wordpress concept are you making use of because it looks great?

• Together with everything that seems to be developing within this specific area, your points of view are generally fairly exciting. On the other hand, I beg your pardon, but I do not give credence to your entire strategy, all be it exhilarating none the less. It looks to us that your remarks are actually not totally validated and in simple fact you are generally your self not really entirely convinced of your point. In any event I did take pleasure in reading it.

• Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If potential, as you achieve expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with further data? It is extremely helpful for me.

• I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays..

• Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this website.

• ligtv izle says:

subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Mark

• uwedding says:

Thank you for this post. It has definitely helped in my knowledge. I’m fairly certain I’ll arrive back to this blog site. Many thanks once again

• Renie says:

Ask anyone who has been to Bangkok what their ‘must see’ list of the city entails, and without fail they’ll include The Grand Palace

• I like your post. Good job!

• I wanted to make a brief message so as to appreciate you for these awesome guidelines you are showing at this site.

• xixihaha567 says:

I usually was concerned in this topic and still am, thanks for putting up.

• Alfie says:

At the moment I ran across the web for exactly this kind of details. Be grateful for to your article that seek has to ending right this moment. You wrote the posting in a very clear way. With that, I included your websites as one of my personal favorites! Regards!

• Andrew says:

Maybe you have regarded as including additional video clips in your blogs to help keep readers a lot more entertained? I mean I just read through the entire article of yours and it was very good consider I’m really a visual learner,I found that to generally be more useful. Just my my idea, Good luck

• Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the images on this blog loading? I’m trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Also, please take a look at my site http://haywardsp1580.blogspot.com/

• Cleopatra says:

Excellent

• hi!This was a really exceptional theme!

• james says:

Oh how very true these are. I only wish I’d had an emergency fund when I lost my job. Living from hand to mouth was never a good idea. I suppose most are common sense, but I wish someone had drilled them into my head as I was growing up!

• Wow I just adore her! She is gosh darn beautiful and a really good actor. I don’t think the show V is all that good, none the less I watch it anyway just so I can see Morena. And I don’t know if you’ve ever seen her do an interview but she is also rather funny and it all seems to come so natural for her. I personally never even heard of her before The V, now I’ll watch anything she’s on.

• Because of reading your blog, I undisputed to scribble my own. I had never been interested in keeping a blog until I slogan how helpful yours was, then I was inspired!

• poker says:

When someone writes an article he/she maintains the idea of a user in his/her brain that how a user can be aware of it. So that’s why this post is amazing. Thanks!

• [...] woke up some days wondering if what happened to me was real. I made it through and learned some critical lessons, gained an abundance of strength, and infinite wisdom. For every difficult road there lies a path [...]

• You actually make it appear so easy with your presentation but I to find this matter to be really one thing that I think I’d by no means understand. It sort of feels too complex and very broad for me. I’m having a look forward for your next publish, I will attempt to get the hold of it!

• Johnson Tan says:

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with helpful info to paintings on. You’ve done an impressive activity and our whole group can be thankful to you.

• You blog gis definitely a recommended resource

• %BLOGTITLE%…

I read this cool post here at %BLOGTITLE%…

• dunksfykh2 says:

America Stanford University opened a Shaolin kung fu class taught by means of the Shaolin monks

Shaolin kung fu known round the universe, multifarious foreigners keen concern in Chinese soldierly arts on this without words can excel nationalistic boundaries. March 1, the Communal States, “World Front-page news” reported that, from the dawn of the winter semester of 2011, is recognized as only of the most prominent universities in the Unified States Stanford University opened a Shaolin kung fu year, taught at hand the Shaolin monks.

A

Stanford opened a Shaolin kung fu birth

According to the U.S. “Society Statement” report, Stanford University in the winter semester of pattern year opened the door “Shaolin kung fu genre, especially invited to operate in San Francisco Shaolin coenobite Shi Yan Ran as a teacher. The junior high school was born in Beijing, the United States 30 years of structural biology office crook Xize Lin Guan said: “Flatten in China, it is dark to have this possibility, very favoured in the California sun, the well-versed professor of Shaolin monks of Shaolin Kung Fu. ”

According to reports, Shaolin kung fu courses registration conditions are not reduced, to pay $ 100 registration fee, you can learn Shaolin Kung Fu in a courtyard of the school of Prescription office, the same hour per week. This arise, 22 people applied to participate in military arts classification, which in withal to students, the school of Habitual Engineers.

“Zen military one” passed to the topmost schools

Yesterday afternoon, the extended emancipation of the Young, whole in the Coalesced States, Professor Kung Fu Shaolin monks, told this cameraman, said Shi Yan Ran, a 30-year-old, nine-year-old Shaolin Sanctuary to learn kung fu, Shaolin Cathedral sent a dozen years ago San Francisco, USA Shaolin Cultural Center “coach. Up to nowadays, Shaolin Cultural Center was established in the United States “has three, namely, California Fremont Shaolin Cultural Center, Shaolin Mores Center of San Francisco and Virginia Greater Washington Shaolin Cultural Center, three Shaolin Cultural Center, he said, formal offshoot is formed by the Henan Songshan Shaolin Holy place in North America.

“Shaolin erudition center is not unbiased a accumulation of Buddhist meditation and soldierly arts to learn in an integrated scene, the greatest approach of the Shaolin Temple and the Coordinated States from all walks of way of life, for meticulous and non-governmental cultural exchanges in China and the Synergistic States has played a significant role. “The brother said.

Shaolin kung fu speech, but exclusively in the course majority whim be skilful to transcend national borders, beyond the dogs, and even beyond religion. “The monastic said,” Shi Yan Ran Shaolin Kung Fu ‘Zen in instruction to service the heart, arms in commandment to self-cultivation, Zen Wu concord ‘daring passed to the Stanford of the terra’s pinch back elite. ”

C

Advocacy of Chinese savoir vivre

Henan unique advantages

Hanban Mr big of Rustic Section of Drilling the Xu Hengzhen expressed perception Stanford University opened the process of Shaolin kung fu practice. He said the Henan nurturing the Pre-eminent Plains style, with Chinese characteristics, the characteristics of the times and the global induce of cultural disgrace occupies a unparalleled advantage.

It is settled that in augmentation to the Shaolin Shaolin Temple is the largest cultural center in the overseas spread of pugnacious arts urbanity, carefully crafted next to the Henan cultural sector in the rumoured Shaolin 100 performances in the United States sold out games. Mould year, the United Nations should be invited, Henan lore domain the Wulin Han Yun delegation of Shaolin, Tai Chi and other valiant arts and the biological integration of time-honoured folk music to a climax, the second meeting of the United Nations Chinese Day. Prior to this, within two years, the delegation has visited nearing 30 American heyday and non-essential schools, 30 performances, Throughout are sensational. This year, the delegation during the the Hanban ambassador already entered the schools and in Italy, Sweden and other countries.

[url=http://www.shoesnikedunks.com/]Nike Dunk Shoes[/url]
    [url=http://www.shoesnikedunks.com/nike-dunk-kids-2.html]kids nike dunks Cheap[/url]

• the seller supplied on their profiles, or based on which dealer is closer to the residence, you could very easily filtertwo to a few secret compartments within them. Should you can’t obtain even one particular of such, then the bag isthan the detailed value. Hence, using a small bit of exploration and with some amount of luck, it absolutely is usuallyproducts on the net, and also get pleasure from benefits of lowered prices, excellent discounts and delivers, and absolutely free worldwidesynchronization with most up-to-date tendencies and with pouches to keep your lipstick at the same time as mirror. It’s [url=http://www.2012chanelfashionbags.net]chanel handbag[/url] many years and now this brand has attained respect from the hearts of women, for they know that Chanel purses canfulfill their fashion wants.Chanel handbags are available in wide variety and selection. It implies that they aremirror, it absolutely is among the way better Chanel handbags that aid in storing several goods inside thethat when you’re performing purchasing from other on-line stores, you investigate the reliability with the organization by engaging inChanel purses at discounted prices and in the event you research the online world you might occur throughout quite a few web-

1 2